University / Tobacco factory
|Location||C/ San Fernando, Seville (see map)|
|Official website ||www.us.es|
The Tobacco Factory
of Seville was constructed between 1728 and 1771 by Sebastián Van der Bocht.
Over the main entrance, the triangular facade ends in a statue of La Fama
Main entrance to Seville University
The tobacco factory was then the largest industrial building in Spain.
A monopoly assured high income, which is reflected in the factory's architecture and surrounding Gardens.
Its chapel and prison complement the main building.
In the interior you find impressive stairways, fountains and Patios.
In 1953 the factory has been converted into the main building of Seville University
The Casa de Pilatos is located next to the Plaza de Pilatos, between the Santa Cruz and Macarena neigborhoods, and the commercial center.
See the monument on interactive map
Just behind the tobacco factory, the
(9) María Luisa park
borders the historic center of Seville to the south.
| Main Page
| Eat & Drink
| Sevilla Info
| City Map |