is the second largest church of Seville after the Cathedral.
Construction works begun in 1674 with architect Esteban García and finished in 1712 with Leonardo de Figueroa.
It was based on the remains of the Mezquita Mayor
, which was then the main mosque of Seville.
Salvador church seen from Plaza del Salvador
From this Arabic building of the 9th century, still remain its Patio de Abluciones
and the basement of its tower.
Patio de Abluciones
Enter the church through the main entrance at Plaza del Salvador or from Cordoba street passing the Patio de Abluciones.
The Interior is in Sevillian Baroque style and richly decorated with sculptures and paintings of local artists:
- retablo mayor
from 1770-1779 by Cayetano de Acosta
- painting of S. Cristóbal by Martínez Montañés from 1597
- sculpture of Cristo del Amor by Juan de Mesa from around 1618-1620
- sculpture of Jesús de la Pasión by Martínez Montañés from 1610-1615
Plaza del Pan
Having visited Salvador church, go up Cordoba street and have a look from Plaza del Pan at the backside of the building.
You will find small shops curiously integrated in the wall of the church.
Located between the main shopping district and the Alfalfa quarter, the church overlooks Plaza del Salvador.
See the monument on interactive map
| Main Page
| Sevilla Info
| City Map |