The Casa de Pilatos
is located next to the Plaza de Pilatos.
The building is mainly from the 16th century and a mixture of Italian Renaissance and Spanish Mudéjar
It is regarded as a "prototype" of an Andalusian palace.
Main entrance to Casa de Pilatos
Once the owner of the building, the Marquis of Tarifa, came back from a journey to Jerusalem, he made some reforms on his palace.
Since then, the building was commonly called the "House of Pilate".
Today it is the residence of the dukes of Medinaceli.
Enter through its large Marble Portal, which was carried out in 1529 by the Italian artist Antonio de Aprile.
Plaza de Pilatos with Zurbarán statue
Across the arcaded Apeadero
(carriage yard), find the Main Patio, decorated with sculptures of Roman emperors and statues of the Greek mythology.
The Main Patio opens to two lovely Gardens.
A tiled stairway leads to the apartments on the upper floor.
The Casa de Pilatos is located next to the Plaza de Pilatos, between the Santa Cruz and Macarena neigborhoods, and the commercial center.
See the monument on interactive map
On to visit another example of Renaissance architecture in Seville: the
| Main Page
| Sevilla Info
| City Map |